Two Day Pre-Learner Course
Two Day Course
Outcome = NT Learner Rider licence R(L)
and the biggest advantage is that you will actually be trained and acquire skills to assist you in safe and enjoyable riding.
The pre-learner course is a training and assessment program designed to help learner licence applicants gain basic riding knowledge and motorcycle handling skills in a safe environment before riding on the road. The objectives of the course are to ensure learner riders have the knowledge and skills to manage, under supervision, the routine riding situations they will encounter while learning to ride, to instill appropriate riding attitudes and a safety mindset, and to minimise the likelihood of harm due to inadequate riding knowledge or skills. The course forms part of an integrated training and assessment program.
The course is designed for people who have no on-road riding experience.
The course curriculum provides a balanced program, presented in a logical and progressive manner, with the sequence, structure and timing of modules designed to support knowledge and skill acquisition. The curriculum relies on the system of specifying the value, purpose and direction of training, emphasising and repeating critical elements, the use of key learning phrases, and ‘overlearning’ to enhance knowledge retention and reinforce skills. The course is competency based, with each competency element assessed as competent or not yet competent; participants will only successfully complete the course if they demonstrate all competencies.
The course adopts a blended approach to learning including theory based teaching, demonstrations, coaching and practice through doing. Individualised feedback is provided throughout the course allowing participants to learn through experience. This interaction also facilitates self-reflection and the use of higher order thinking, which has been shown to positively influence on-road behaviour and attitudes to road safety.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the course commencement. If you miss the crucial compulsory OH&S brief at the start of the course, you will not be able to participate.
- Please notify our office if you require a Medical clearance. (or take regular prescribed medication)
- All Darwin Motorcycle riding school (DMC riding school) courses run, regardless of weather conditions,
- Should you wish to cancel or change to an alternate date a least 5 working days notice must be given. no refund will be made. Please Note: All courses are subject to minimum numbers.
We insist on riders wearing as a minimum:
- All the gear all the time
- Helmet – supplied by DMC riding school
- Pants that cover the full length of the leg
- Long sleeved shirt or jacket made from protective material designed to minimise abrasions.
- Eye protection
- Fully enclosed gloves
- Fully enclosed shoes.
No matter what you ride – from scooter to superbike – good gear is an investment too important to ignore. It could make the difference between a nasty tumble and injuries that prevent you from ever riding again.
It is the responsibility of the learner to attend Darwin Motorcycle Riding School wearing long pants, enclosed shoes and eye protection. We also recommend the use of sunscreen. It is also a requirement that during the on road assessment all learners will wear fluorescent vests supplied by Darwin Motorcycle Riding School.
We provide full use of a brand new 2017 Honda Grom for the duration of the course. You are welcome to use your own motorcycle providing it is a RE (LAMS approved) class motorcycle, registered and in a roadworthy condition.
We recommend using your own helmet, jacket and gloves. Darwin Motorcycle Riding School has a selection of riding gear that can be borrowed at no extra cost.
14 hours (Delivered over 2 days)
Call 0411609658 to book or book online – we have courses running year-round – select an upcoming course date to book online:
Upcoming 2 Day Pre-Learner Course Dates